Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Field Day

Field Day: an annual day for schools in which students compete in sports and or have fun during recreational activities.

I've always wondered why school systems call this particular day 'Field Day'. I mean, there's no field involved in any shape or form. And what do fields have to do with fun OR sports? During my first Field Day in the 1st grade, I was severely disappointed to see that Field Day consisted of students running around with water balloons and buckets of water, while the teachers watched in the shade.

I also remember lots of crying and chaos. But apparently the crying and chaos on Field Day is evidence of a "successful way to integrate learning and fun nearing the end of the school year", according to one of the teachers. Now that I think about it, 1st graders with water guns and hoses equals utter confusion.

Field Day 2009 was pretty similar. Minus the 1st grade part. Plus basketball courts.
Thank goodness that we children are creative.

We actually make field day fun every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment