Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Marvin Ridge Debate Tournament

I went to my first debate tournament last Saturday, on Halloween.
Oh darn, I missed out on all the free candy...
I'll live.

Anyway, it was at Marvin Ridge High School (which looks like that high school from High School Musical, if you ask me... It has a REALLY nice facility.), and it was a Novice/JV Tournament--for first time and generally less experienced debaters.

And for my first time debating...

I really learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Many of my friends from middle school were on other schools' teams and we were able to catch up on what has been going on in our lives. And the debates themselves were exhilarating, but nerve-wracking. I had an adrenaline rush every single time I opened my mouth. AND, I got 3rd place!

The resolution was: "2009 September/October Topic Resolved: Public high school students in the United States ought not be required to pass standardized exit exams to graduate." for my event, which was Lincoln-Douglas. Now I'm working on the the next resolution: "2009 November/December Topic Resolved:Public health concerns justify compulsory immunization." for my next tournament in Asheville: the Asheville Cougar Classic. Wish me luck?

Oh, and by the way, I placed 3rd at Marvin Ridge-- not THAT bad, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment