Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 10 - Hello, DC!

Right now, I'm at George Washington University in Washington DC--and thankful to have access to the Internet through the wireless connection on a laptop.

Traveling today has been quite fast paced. First, we toured the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, in which we watched an oral presentation about the history of the Constitution and roamed through an exhibit outlining the United States' governmental history (from presidents to Supreme Court cases to legislation). I got to wear the robes of old Supreme Court justices, and voted in mock elections for the next President of the United States. So far, it looks like Barack Obama will win the next election--at least according to the Fellows' votes. 67 to 33 percent (aka Mitt Romney).

Me and Barry. We're on a first name basis.
Next, a few of the Fellows (Francois, Roma, and Max) and I broke off from the group to tour the Old City. We saw the grave of Benjamin Franklin, a statue of Benjamin Franklin, and Franklin Street. I suppose the City of Brotherly Love is quite proud of him? Quite appropriate for the group photo of the BFTF 2012! (We also received t-shirts as a surprise!)

We stopped by the US Mint first. I was honestly a little surprised--it seemed more like a museum than an actual factory. I was expected coins pouring out of machines, but it was definitely less active than I expected. However, the exhibits were informative and witty. (Roma really appreciated the puns... "What do you do for a job?" "...Oh, I make money.")

The actual factory
I had a Philly Cheesesteak, just to see if I would change my mind about whether I liked them or not. I didn't. Oh well.

But then, the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Institute headed off to DC.

A few friends and I stopped by the White House after grabbing some dinner at the Cosi Cafe (the TBM sandwich is amazing), and talked to a lady at Concepcion Picciotto's tent. A quick explanation: Concepcion Picciotto is called "The President's Neighbor", and has been sitting a daily vigil for anti-nuclear protests since 1981. http://prop1.org/conchita/

Concepcion Picciotto's Tent
This really reminded me of the program I went to last year as an essay winner of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. I actually saw this same tent, and talked to Concepcion. It's crazy how quickly time has passed, and how quickly you make friends in such a short period of time! In fact, today was the birthday of one of the girls I met through that program last year. And further, she lives in Philly and goes to UPenn. Happy birthday Madeleine.

On another note, I really hope that Austeja feels better. She felt queasy for a few days, and today, she was rushed to the hospital because of her appendix. The doctor says that the surgery should be fairly simple and that she just needs some rest, and I hope she can visit us in DC soon.

Anyway, now I'm in my dorm with Anathea, Hana Colic, and Ollena Sandul. Getting ready for another long but exciting day tomorrow!

And HI LORIK I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS.

1 comment:

  1. Hope Austeja gets better after surgery and joins the group soon!

    ReplyDelete