Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 13

It's been a long day again. I've figured out that being at the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Institute is like being at school, plus mostly international students, minus the stress from grades.

But speaking of grades, Advanced Placement scores are out. AH.

Anyways, today was a big day! However, for brevity, I'll be using bullet points again. I took longer notes on paper, but honestly, my fingers are a little tired... I guess I should probably get some sleep soon!

  • I went to the Department of State. At the Department of State, we discussed how the United States government offered different opportunities to youth all over the world, particularly through the form of Youth Councils. I found out that there is no existing United States Youth Council, which is interesting. I think I'll probably email the Department of State to see if we could get one going--today's experience was interesting.
Cedric, Amber, and I at the Department of State
  • Anyway, we split up into different delegations representing countries from around the world to debate controversial topics. Syria. Iran. Afghanistan. The global economic crisis. I was a part of the German delegation for the global economic crisis, so obviously, I advocated for the austerity that was existent in the German fiscal policy to be spread to the countries of southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Greece, etc). Dillon was my group's representative, and he knew so much about the European crisis! I thought the entire event was relatively well put together, as we only really had a few days to prepare. 
  • Next, we went back to the Washington Center. Tony Cerise talked to us for some time, but then we discussed the policies of Amnesty International with a representative. Because I am a part of the human rights and civil rights lab, I thought Amnesty International's work with such letter writing campaigns and media movements like their involvement with Aung San Suu Kyi was inspiring. 
  • Last day in DC for a while. Even though I grew up here, it's weird and exciting being back. The city I loved and grew up in has changed, but it's still very recognizable. Maybe I'll even study here in the future. 
LPOTD 3.

"[penguins] are so cute." - Lorik
And he sent me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN3L621ASI. Dying.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to NC! There will be another great things waiting for you here. No doubt you brought wonderful memories and experiences from the trip.

    ReplyDelete