Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 11 - Miscellaneous Journeys

It's been a long but eventful day.

We kicked off the day by going to The Washington Center (http://www.twc.edu/), where we met Tony Cerise and Dr. Andrea Baron to discuss various topics. The Washington Center is a non-profit organization that offers internship opportunities to students who are interested in working in Washington DC. The topics that we discussed were ones that I was particularly interested in--and ones that I did my senior exit project and International Baccalaureate Extended Essays on. These were also the main topics of my research for the National Forensic League Public Forum debate topic of 2011, and the center of the curriculum I wrote and published through The Echo Foundation. (http://www.echofoundation.org/Current%20Projects/Civics/CG%20FINAL%2011.17.11.pdf).

We discussed what democracy was, and the key characteristics that defined the ideals of democracy. We also discussed the role of the United States acting unilaterally to spread democratic ideals in emerging democracies (ie. the role of the United States in the Arab Spring), as well as the ethics behind multilateral organizations like the European Union or the United Nations interfering with humanitarian aid, and thus violating state sovereignty. Roma and I had a few moments when we definitely appreciated the experience we had from Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum debate.

I thought it was really interesting how there were many different perspectives reflected from representatives from different countries. For example, while discussing the conflict between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo, representatives from each of the countries were able to calmly discuss their views on the violence that occurred, despite the tensions in the countries' relationship.

The Washington Center

Tony Cerise

Dr. Andrea Baron
We also looked at some political advertising of the two main candidates for the upcoming 2012 Presidential Election--Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. This is by far my favorite advertisement, though. Thank you, Jay Leno. http://mashable.com/2012/05/22/call-me-maybe-obama/

Afterwards, we stopped by the Union Station in Washington DC for lunch. The abundance of "Au Bon Pain"'s and chomping on a baguette reminded me so much of the Washington Workshops I did last year. I miss everyone so much! Speaking of which, one of my best friends from that program, Lylla , has been accepted to a very prestigious international study program for her university experience. I'm so proud.

Then the group moved onto the Holocaust Museum. Honestly, going to this museum makes me really upset. I don't like to talk to people in the museum, and I don't like to walk with people through the exhibit. Perhaps I'm just being moody, but I almost feel disrespectful if I smile in the memorial. I think it's really important that we remember what happened so that it never happens again, but seeing the piles of children's shoes and the locks of hair really gets to me.

And coincidentally, the "passport" that I received at the beginning of the tour had the information for a girl named Sarah. Sarah was born in June of 1930, and was planning on studying piano in a conservatory. That would have placed her around my age during the time of the Holocaust. The similarities, though coincidental, were a little shocking. She didn't survive the Holocaust.

The Holocaust Museum
The rest of the day just passed by in a blur. I went to Cosi again, and had the best Raspberry Mojito Lemonade I've ever had. Laid around with Molly, Sigvard, Lorik, and Jeanne. Got caught in the rain.

One of the highlights was definitely running in the rain though. My ankle has been feeling better, but I just wanted to jog, and went on a run through Washington DC with Ludwig and Wouder-Jan late at night. We ran to the Washington Memorial, to the Lincoln Memorial, through the States' Fountain, and through the Vietnam War Memorial. It probably wasn't the best idea, because by the end I might have been limping a little slash a lot, but it was so worth it. I'll just take a Tylenol later. The view during the run was beautiful, and we sang the Beatles, Mumford and Sons, Carly Rae Jepsen, and national anthems the entire run.

10th Floor View from GW University Dorms
And a new tradition. LPOTD, meaning Lorik's Photo of the Day. Here's photo 1, with a sweet quote.

"I could kill you right now and feel nothing." - Lorik

1 comment:

  1. I remember the night in D.C was so beautiful, but would like to ask you to "Save" your ankle for the rest of the days at BFTF and your life, Please!!!

    ReplyDelete