Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 17 - Back to Wake Forest

It was my first day back on Wake Forest University's campus, and I definitely missed it. I suppose that because it is the first place I arrived on campus to for the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows program, it could be considered a second "home". And I'm looking forward to finding another "home" for college next year-- it's something that I am a little apprehensive for, but what happens, happens for a reason.

Either way, today was the resuming of classes. For my human and civil rights classes, we first attended a debate seminar with Dr. Von Burg, where the topics ranged from European versus American football to Turkish involvement in the European Union. In the classes, we participated in "SPAR" debate, which I recognized from this past year's circuit of debate.

It was so nice being back in The Pit for lunch. It was very crowded with other students from different camps, and I actually ran into a few friends from school! Namely Ford... Bedford. But sitting and chatting with all my fellow friends was a return to the "norm", and something that I had missed dearly.

Then the afternoon sessions of classes! We sat in a circle and drew philosophy trees. I don't have a picture of mine at the moment, but I will post one later on. We talked about which issues stemmed from which, and fell into a lively debate about realistic morality and idealism. It reminded me of the Lincoln Douglas debates of what ought to be, versus what should be. Historical references and philosophical principles were thrown out into the conversation, and it was all very interesting!

Next, we attended the LGBTQ Center in the Benson Center at Wake Forest University. We essentially discussed what Lesbian, Gay, Bisexuality, Transgender/sexual, and Queer statuses were in society, and how the college campus reacts to each of these identities. It was quite interesting, especially keeping in mind the Amendment One debate that had occurred in North Carolina not too long ago.

But mostly, it was just amazing seeing everyone again. Love and literally, kisses.

xx Claudia, Cristina, and Roma

No comments:

Post a Comment