Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 19

As the number of days left in the Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Program are slowly dwindling down, I feel almost like I'm leaving home to find a home to leave it again.

Today was a day focused mainly on human rights. There wasn't any structured learning, but instead, there was a free period for us to work on building formal speeches for our discussion of controversial human rights violation issues in each of our respective countries. I'm researching human and civil rights violated during the process of imposing democracy in other nations, specifically looking at the United States' involvement.

We went to a retirement community in Winston-Salem to watch the Arts group perform their pieces. Katarina from Montenegro played classical piano. Emma presented a piece of artwork that was a portrait of Antia. Many people recited poems they had wrote. It was all very touching, and very impressive, considering that it was all put together in less than three days! And the residents seemed to enjoy the presentation, and we were able to speak with them after the performances.

And after, we returned home to the Jennings'. I've been having an amazing time at their home, and am really grateful for their offering to keep us here. Modesta and Sarah and I sat and jammed to "American Boy" by Estelle, as well as various Coldplay and Adele songs. I think we may perform that at the final performance! I'll be rapping of course. Kanye, Sara, eh.

LPOTD5. I've been told that it's very easy to get ahold of guns in the United States by many different European fellows... I guess they're right.

m4.

No comments:

Post a Comment