Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 5 - An Independence Day Celebration

Today honestly has been one of the best days of my life.

After waking up and just heading straight to classes, I learned about comparative constitutionalism by studying the United States Constitution and comparing it to other constitutions, namely the South African constitution. One thing that was really interesting was how the South African constitution had so many specific outlines for its sections, while the United States constitution had a relatively general and vague wording. I then wrote my own constitution with a group of people that became the country... Franklainia. Shout out to Cedric, Claudia, Carmen, Karla, Hemide, and Modesta!

The Constitution of Franklainia
Lunch is always entertaining. Even as an Asian-American, I'm adjusting to the constant stream of "American" food, so the adaptation process of some of my friends has been hilarious.

Austeja and her pizza
After lunch, we came back to class, and prepared for a more formal style debate. This was really interesting because I do debate for my school, and I've been fairly heavily involved in the forensics community--I've even debated at Wake Forest before. This time, I took the position of a judge, and ruled in the negative of the following resolution: the United States constitution should stand as a model for democracy in emerging democracies.

But of course, we had a few adventures during that period. For example, Francois helped me learn French. Je sui convencue. 


The actual debate!
After the debate was the exciting part. We had a fourth of July celebration! Cedric of course was his usual paparazzi self.

Paparazzi.
 A water battle ensued after Dr. Petrou brought out the water guns.

Joe from the UK

As usual, I finished up the evening with a nice jog, and came back to my room to find that Max from Georgia, Christos from Greece, and Antreas from Cyprus had started up a game of UNO with Cristina, my suitemate. Of course, I joined in. Soon, Antreas and I had formed an alliance. The photo below was taken to imitate some of the world leaders in their jolly handshakes when signing an alliance, but I'm struggling a little bit... We were such nerds! We could have called it UN(oh) rather than UNO... Ciao.

Cyprus and North Carolina make a formal alliance.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to ask what's going on in the last photo when I saw at FB. Now I got it.... so much fun to see your daily life at BFTF. Thank you, Sara. Love.

    ReplyDelete